- This event has passed.
How SoFA uses sociocracy
September 29, 2021 @ 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Sociocracy for all is using sociocracy too! We’re incorporated as a nonprofit in the USA but operating globally.
- We are a membership organization with 190 members worldwide. Ca. 25 people are in paid roles (part time or full time), and everyone volunteers. We have organizations that are members too.
- We are a multi-lingual nonprofit with departments/circles in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Hebrew, Chinese, Scandinavia.
- Our operations: We both produce content and resources, and we network (around language communities and about sector interest). We are acting as a platform connecting practitioners with peers, sociocracy professionals with other professionals, and sociocracy trainers with their audience.
- We care about social justice, affordability, and equality.
SoFA is using a few refinements on sociocracy that make it possible to grow fast and serve our mission of making sociocracy accessible. The most interesting refinements we use on a daily basis are:
- A clear distinction between circles vs. communities of practices. This matters to organizations that have a lot of grassroots and community involvement that’s mostly separate from key operations.
- Multi-sector, multi-language operations; we use a Help Desk framework that helps circles support each other and build “cross-connections” based on agreements and service relationships.
- Organizations that want to strictly decentralize decisions.
In this workshop, operational leader Ted Rau will show SoFA’s structure, explain how SoFA operates, and answer questions to help transfer these principles to similar use cases.
The ticket price can be waived by request. Send an email to email@example.com to describe your need. A recording of the presentation (minus Q&A) will be available after the event. This event is free to members (please use the member ticket).
Date and time
Sept 29, 15-16 UTC (Universal Coordinated Time) with extra time for questions.