Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Co-Executive Director
Supervises: Digital Associate
Location: Remote! Anywhere in the US.
Compensation: Varies based on experience and geography, ranges from $45,000-65,000, with 100% employer-paid health insurance premium with 50% dependent coverage, Simple IRA contribution, home office stipend, 3 weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick/personal leave annually.
About PSN & the Communications & Development Coordinator
Power Shift Network is a decentralized network made up of 90+ organizations committed to growing the power of the Youth Climate Movement. PSN is currently planning the relaunch of its iconic Power Shift convergences, which served as catalysts for many organizations and campaigns that have shaped today’s movements for a livable planet. Over the past two years, PSN has revised its strategy and outreach methods to more intentionally build a home for frontlines activists and BIPOC youth in climate justice work. Our new Development and Communications Coordinator will be stepping into a tight knit team of seven, and will bring a keen sense of storytelling to many aspects of our work, from amplifying our network member’s campaigns to crafting fundraising campaigns to shaping our recruitment messaging for our convergence. Our ideal candidate will be a self-starting people person, with a background in communications with some strong data management chops. Ideally, they will have a strong interest in building diversified income streams to build resilient organizations and will have some familiarity with social movement theory as well as the issues related to and intersecting with climate change and environmental justice.
PSN is deeply committed to the struggle to combat adultism, racism (including anti-Blackness), patriarchy, cissexism, and all other systems of oppression.
Job Activities & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Digital Associate to ensure that Network Members’ news and campaigns are shared appropriately through PSN Channels
- Support Digital Associate with development of creative original content and curated third-party content for publication on the Power Shift Network social media channels
- Create and execute PSN communication strategies to increase visibility. This will include traditional public relations and marketing, and social media elements.
- Lead the continued growth and improvement of the Power Shift Network’s email list, social media audiences, and overall online community through data-driven iteration, testing, and best practices.
- Oversee email blast and monthly newsletter production and distribution
- Work with Co-Executive Director(s) and other staff to develop PSN’s overall communications strategy and execute online fundraising appeals and campaigns
- Supports and provides coaching- including strategy coaching, leadership development, training, and other relevant components – to network leaders alongside network organizers
- Work with Executive Director, Network Director, staff organizers, and network partners to develop messaging and talking points for campaigns, events, and other opportunities
- Coordinates with digital staff to ensure the proper integration of online tools, strategies, and tactics into the network, especially in the management of internal communications
- Represents Power Shift Network in the media as necessary
- Represents Power Shift Network in regional and national coalitions, at regional and national events, and to the general public, as needed. This includes attending conferences and gatherings of other networks and coalitions and participating in other formations’ working groups
- Oversee the creation and production of any and all print and digital materials
- Work closely with administrative staff to ensure that grants management processes are operating effectively
- Supports Co-Executive Director with drafting grant proposals and other _____.
- Manage individual donors, grow prospect lists, and increase donor base.
- Help manage and maintain data systems, including NeonCRM, to track revenue and program data.
- Lead online fundraising annual strategy and metrics setting and implement/execute related tactics.
- Create donor cultivation opportunities and assist in planning stewardship events.
- Works with network organizers to plan and coordinate strategy and activities to obtain media coverage in regional and national media outlets.
- Represents Power Shift Network in the media as necessary
- Represents Power Shift Network in regional and national coalitions, at regional and national events, and to the general public, as needed. This includes attending conferences and convenings of other networks and coalitions and participating in other formations’ working groups
Anti-Oppression, Environmental Justice, Diversity, and Inclusion: (5%)
- Works with senior staff to ensure that the Network – both staff and members abide by its commitment to anti-oppression, environmental justice, diversity, and equity
- Promotes learning opportunities for staff and Network partners
- Ensures that campaigns and programs actively integrate a political analysis in line with the Network Operating Principles into their development, implementation, and evaluation
- Responsible for working with senior staff to create and maintain a work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse and talented staff
Knowledge & Skills:
- Minimum of three years of experience working with volunteers and/or staff in the youth climate movement, environmental movement, racial justice, or other similar organizations to plan and implement grassroots campaigns, paid or unpaid
- Clear track record of success in moving a project from visionary goals to effective execution
- Experience managing and coaching staff/volunteers.
- Ability to work independently (often remotely), cooperatively and effectively with public, staff, and volunteers
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to clearly write and explain complex issues and effectively communicate them to a wide range of audiences (e.g., members, partners, allies, funders, critics, media)
- Ability to effectively initiate rapid response engagement with PSN Network Members and the public
- Knowledge of climate change, network theory, youth-led social movements, energy democracy, and/or related social justice issues to build a bold narrative around PSN’s theory of change and effectively grow support from the public.
- Graphic Design skills
- Ability to support and facilitate connections and relationship building among individuals, formally and informally
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Deep commitment to anti-oppressive praxis
- Program evaluation and qualitative and quantitative data tracking
- Knowledgeable about the following platforms: Google Analytics, Action Network, Canva, and NeonCRM
- Storytelling and message crafting
- Interest in organizational development and culture building
- Supportive and communicative management style
- Easily adapts to various circumstances and audiences
- Strong prioritization skills in ability to support/develop others and their ability to maintain life-work balance