The SciComm Trainers Network (SCTN) is a newly formed national network of individuals and groups committed to advancing science communication training. We’re seeking our first staff person, a half-time Network Weaver, to help us cultivate our community, professionalize our field, and grow participation to broaden our diversity and inclusion.
1. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE & QUESTIONS
Please apply by May 19, 2020. Additionally, we are eager to answer any questions you may have about this job (please contact Core Team member Jai Ranganathan – firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. THE MATERIALS IN PDF FORM
3. THE OPPORTUNITY
The SciComm Trainers Network (SCTN) is a newly formed national network of individuals and groups committed to advancing science communication training. We’re seeking our first staff person, a half-time Network Weaver, to help us cultivate our community, professionalize our field, and grow participation to broaden our diversity and inclusion. The Network Weaver will play a critical role in facilitating the Network’s development and growth. The Network is housed at the Institute for Learning Innovation (ILI).
We are science communication trainers, aspiring trainers, researchers of training, and funders of training efforts working to build scientists’ capacity to engage diverse audiences and strengthen relationships across society.
Our ideal Network Weaver will enjoy building relationships and connecting groups to achieve common goals; have a passion for science communication training and public engagement; equity and inclusion; excel at project management; and derive satisfaction from facilitating and supporting collective efforts for the SCTN. The Network Weaver will also work to advance ILI’s mission to innovate around free-choice learning in general and professional learning in particular, and apply these innovations to the SCTN. The Network Weaver will thrive in a virtual work environment day-to-day and will also have major roles in developing and facilitating occasional in-person convenings. Operating in close partnership with the SCTN Core Team and as part of the ILI team, the Weaver will work independently but not alone.
4. THE PROFILE
Required Experience, Capabilities and Knowledge
- Science Communications Training: Familiar with the field of science communications training.
- Relationship Building: Familiar with building and maintaining networks, coalitions or other multi-stakeholder collaboratives. Diplomatic and able to form, manage, and maintain positive, trusting relationships with current and potential Network members.
- Group Facilitation: Experience designing and facilitating meetings and gatherings in person and virtually.
- Supporting Teams: Demonstrated ability to develop and support teams, collaborate to achieve common goals, and adapt flexibly in a context of complexity and continual change. Able to share leadership roles, galvanize enthusiasm, support, and participation among diverse groups with wide-ranging motivations.
- Communication: Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills grounded in deep listening and the values of participation and collective action. Comfort with online communication platforms and tools (e.g., Zoom, Google Suite, Slack).
- Cross-Cultural Agility: Demonstrated ability to work across cultural differences, especially with historically underrepresented communities, and develop inclusive practices and language. Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Entrepreneurial mindset and skillset: including creativity, flexibility, resourcefulness, and agility. Open to experimentation, learning, and making adjustments along the way. Able to work independently and think creatively about how to leverage resources.
- Project Management: Well organized with a proven ability to coordinate efforts across groups with attention to the “big picture” and the details. Able to manage projects with many moving parts.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
Desired Experience, Capabilities and Knowledge
- Experience with raising funds from a variety of sources (e.g., grants, contracts, earned income, corporate sponsorships, cross-sector partnerships)
- Familiar with research and evaluation methods
- Direct experience with science communication training
- Experience with Network mapping and analysis tools
- Experience developing and/or maintaining a website and social media
Flexible, collaborative, organized, detail-oriented, systems thinker, loves to learn, humble, self-starter who takes initiative, comfortable with ambiguity, sense of humor
Salary range is $35,000 to $42,000 depending on qualifications, plus benefits.
5. HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following:
- A cover letter that reflects how your experience qualifies you to become the Weaver for the SciComm Trainers Network. Please include your experience with diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A chronological resume.
Please send the two documents as PDFs to Paula Manley at email@example.com with the email subject line: SCTN Weaver Search
All inquiries will be handled confidentially. Please use this email to request an accommodation. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Due date is May 19, 2020.
6. JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Network Weaver
Status: Half-Time, Exempt
Reports to: ILI (Fiscal Sponsor) with accountability to the SCTN Core Team and Network members.
The Network Weaver creates and cultivates high quality relationships and collaborations to advance the Network’s purpose and priorities. Primary responsibilities include:
Participate as a full member of the ILI team
- Work to advance ILI’s mission to innovate around professional learning
- Adhere to ILI financial and administrative systems
- Participate in ILI organization-wide activities including all staff meetings
Convene the Network
- Help design and facilitate Network virtual and in-person convenings
- Organize convening logistics, including meeting locations, catering, materials, reminders, etc.
- Together with Task Forces, organize and host Network calls in between convenings
Catalyze the Network
- Orient new members and support their onboarding
- Facilitate connections between Network participants, including: brokering new relationships; reengaging inactive members; troubleshooting potential Network issues in partnership with the Core Team and Task Forces; and liaising between Network members, Task Forces, and the Core Team
- Support Network participants to more deeply connect their organization with the work of Network
- Represent the Network at external events (e.g., conferences) and on social media
- Update the Network website
Coordinate the Network
- Join Core Team meetings and calls, identifying points of intersection and bottlenecks with Network Task Forces
- Track project progress, outcomes, bottlenecks
- Capture key takeaways and next steps from convenings
- Provide monthly updates to the Network Manage Network finances and budget in cooperation with ILI
- Maintain Network records (membership, financial, Core Team minutes, project team rosters and activities) in cooperation with ILI
- Maintain the Network’s technological infrastructure (Zoom, Slack, Google Suite) and keep them up to date
Communicate with and for the Network
- Function as primary point of contact for the Network internally and externally, including for the Network email address
- Connect with each individual Network participant to understand their work, their organization, and how the Network can support the participant and their organization in service of shared goals
- Work to keep Network conversations vibrant and alive
- Reach out to drifting participants and find creative ways to re-engage them in the Network
Resource the Network
- Support Network fundraising efforts with the Core Team
- Work with Network members to identify and secure in-kind contributions, including meeting locations, transportation, catering, materials, etc.
The Network Weaver will operate in a virtual working environment day-to-day with travel required for occasional in-person convenings.
Find the original Job Post HERE