What Is Needed to Build Community Power? Essential Capacities for Equitable Communities
- What are the essential capacities for building power?
- What are the types and combinations of capacities required to transform community systems and conditions
- How are these capacities manifesting in local communities?
- Among the capacities for building power are three core capacities: the capacity to organize communities, deepen equity, and cultivate leadership and leaders.
- The core capacities are reinforced by others, including the capacity to nurture and sustain networks; generate financial resources; change culture and narratives; carry out research, advocacy, and policy implementation, regulation, and law; and provide services and mutual aid.
- These capacities for building power are overlapping, interconnected, mutually reinforcing, and constantly changing. Capacities shape and spill into each other; as such, no single framework or list captures the multifaceted and complex ways community power-building organizations (CPBOs) embody these capacities.