Fundamentals of Facilitation for Racial Justice Work , Tuesdays, 5/23/23 – 6/20/23
May 23 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Design and facilitate the challenging conversations that catalyze breakthrough thinking and lasting agreements
Are you looking for new ways to help people who are different from one another talk about racism and then figure out what to do together? Have you ever been leading a group and been stopped in your tracks by someone’s comment or question?
In our work as leaders, knowing about structural racism and understanding the difference between “inclusion” and “equity” are one thing; being effective at helping other people talk about them and facilitate impactful action is another. The workshop will deepen your skills to do just that, in both virtual and in-person environments.
By the end of this workshop series, participants will have:
- A set of practical skills and tools for guiding others through productive conversations about race, racism, and racial justice that build understanding and agreement
- A foundational framework for understanding racial identity development and the system of racialization in the U.S.
- Addressed some of your key challenges and aspirations as a facilitator in your racial justice work
- Experienced well-facilitated conversations about racism and racial justice and a supportive community of practice
Workshop participants should enter this workshop already having some level of familiarity with racial justice concepts.
This workshop provides an understanding of the role facilitation plays in racial justice work and explores the “who,” “what,” and “how” of racial justice facilitation. By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Be able to identify a learning edge in your racial justice work and a tool, concept, or practice to address it.
- Have explored the impact of how we “show up” as facilitators on the effectiveness of discussions and meetings about race.
- Be familiar with ways to maintain your center and tap into the strengths of your own identities to advance the work.
- Be able to facilitate with increased presence, grace, and authority.
- Have developed a clearer understanding of racial justice concepts (such as institutional and structural racism, racial justice framing) and knowledge of how to use these in design and facilitation.
- Be able to make strategic choices about when to use different facilitation tools, when to use racial justice concepts and when to engage additional resources and people to address challenging situations.
- Have become familiar with common racialized dynamics that show up in conversations and other interactions about race, racism, and racial justice, and ways to facilitate effectively.
- Be familiar with the role of facilitator in racial justice work and how this role can be leveraged to move the work forward.
- Be familiar with collaborative process skills for designing and facilitating understanding and agreements that advance racial justice work in your organization or network.
- Have learned how to intervene to deal with hot button issues and challenging situations in meetings about race, racism, and racial justice work.
- Be able to use adult learning principles to help design effective conversations and meetings about race, racism, and racial justice.
This workshop is focused primarily on discussions that lead to action, not open-ended dialogues or racial healing work. In addition, while the larger organizational change or movement building strategies within which conversations about racial justice might be situated are important, those change strategies are not the focus of this workshop.
Community of Practice for Ongoing Learning
After the training, IISC offers all Fundamentals of Facilitation for Racial Justice participants the opportunity to continue the learning and connection in a community with other past workshop participants. You will receive a link to join an online community and you’ll be invited to attend quarterly gatherings of this powerful network of racial justice practitioners.
$750/per person Nonprofit | $950/per person Foundation | $1,125/per person For-Profit/Social Venture
Subscribe to our mailing list to be the first to know about how to register when new dates are announced.
Fundamentals of Facilitation for Racial Justice Work for your organization or network
The workshop is also available as an offering for participants from one organization or network.