- This event has passed.
Social System Mapping SenseMaking Session | June 6th, 2022
June 6, 2022 @ 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Once a month SenseMaking sessions for diving into and making sense of social system maps.
About this event
A Social System Map is clearly a useful visual directory, but it could be a whole lot more!
Social System Mapping enables us to map, inquire into, and take wise action in a domain that we’ve previously only been able to speculate about – the domain just beyond our own ego-network horizons – the ecosystem that connects our own ego-networks to the broader systems we’re seeking to transform. Now that we can map that domain, we can start to make sense of and act upon that domain in ways we’ve never had access to before.
Our SenseMaking sessions will give you a little complexity theory, introduce you to some ways of making sense of complexity, and help you see how a Social System Map can help you see, understand and influence the complex deep patterns that are inherent in your network or community.
We hope you’ll join us!
Announcing a monthly session for:
- Practicing SenseMaking with Social System Maps.
- Plus a brief introduction to one of Human Systems Dynamics (HSD)* models and methods.
- The first Monday of every month, at 10:00-11:30 am US Central time.
- Find out when this happens in your timezone
Who should attend:
- Anyone who has made a SSMap, is a member of a SSMap, is considering making a SSMap, is responsible for getting value from a SSMap.
- Those who are working on systems transformation, and would like to add a little HSD spice to their change and mapping efforts.
The regular hour and a half session format will include:
- A quick overview of our purpose for being together.
- A brief introduction to the HSD Theory of Change, and one HSD model/method.Collective Inquiry rounds applying the HSD model/method to a Social System Map.
- Debrief of the session & potential next steps where relevant.
*What are Human Systems Dynamics models and methods?
From the Human Systems Dynamics Institute website:
“Human Systems Dynamics (HSD) offers a mindset, methods, and models to help make sense of the patterns that emerge from the chaos that comes when people work and play together in groups, families, organizations, and communities.”
Among the many approaches to systems-thinking and complexity available, HSDs is one of the most applicable and accessible that I’ve come across. The HSD models & methods are relevant to any context where people interact, but they’re especially useful in the highly-complex and squishy context of transformation networks. And many of them are perfect for exploring a Social System Map. They provide the structure and guidance needed to find meaning in the visual chaos that a Social System Map represents. I believe combining HSD with SSMapping will help us take SSMapping to the next level, and I hope you’ll join me in this exciting new journey.